THORNTON ACTION GROUP

Wyre Together Best Community Group 2010

Minutes of the meeting held on 18th January 2017 at Thornton Methodist Church


1.APOLOGIES: P & H Gore, M Horgan, Cllr K Jones


2.WELCOME: S Abbott, Chairman Thornton Cleveleys Football Club


3.COUNCILLORS IN ATTENDANCE: No councillors in attendance


4.MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: The minutes were proposed as correct by M Whelan and seconded by B Whelan.


5.MATTERS ARISING:


5.1 Marsh Mill


P Tarrant told the meeting that the AGM for Friends of Marsh Mill will be on 23rd February. P Heapy will be attending to show a series of slides illustrating work completed on the Mill by his father Walter.


5.2 Thornton Christmas Lights


H Phillips told the meeting that he has sent a letter to the Thornton Cleveleys Matters publication to thank all Lights sponsors and donors. There had been one or two issues with the lights this year which had required attention. There will be a meeting in March re the lights for next year.


5.3 Flood Issues


P Jenkins told the meeting that the Flood Forum meeting took place in December 2016. Work on Branksome Field has started.

Information about the Flood Action Group is now on the TAG facebook page. Further consideration needs to be given to how residents can contact us with any flood issues.

Phil told the meeting that some of the flood wardens and committee members would be attending a 1 day conference, organised by members of Churchtown Flood Action Group, on Saturday, 28th January,

The Flood wardens have continued to keep an eye on local dykes and building sites.


5.4 Libraries


As yet there is no decision about the future of Thornton and Cleveleys libraries and the bids by Thornton Gala Committee and UR Potential to take over the operation of them. It was reported in the Blackpool Gazette that the government minister for civil society has met with the leader of LCC to discuss what is happening with the library service.


6. Guest Speaker – Mr S Abbott, Chairman, Thornton Cleveleys Football Club


We were pleased to welcome Steve Abbot from the football club. Steve told the meeting that he had been involved with the club for over 20 years. Originally the club was supported by ICI but they had to fund themselves when this link ended.

The club has 16 Junior teams (5-18yrs), including girls teams, as well as Senior teams and is run by volunteers. It is a small but strong club.

NPL sponsors the club and they have 2 sites on Bourne Rd and Gamble Rd. They also have the club house on Bourne Rd which is well used by the community. The revenue from the clubhouse helps to run the club. The Bourne Rd pitch is on lease and there is planning for houses on this site – currently expired but can be reapplied for. The club has a good relaionship with Fleetwood Town F.C. Matches are split between the two sites which is not ideal as Thornton would prefer to be at the one location. A move cannot be completed until the Bourne site is sold.

Fleetwood Town currently maintain Thornton's pitches at Poolfoot and use them when Thornton are not playing. The pitches on Poolfoot are currently fenced off because of vandalism.

Car parking is an issue.

Steve was thanked for an informative session.


7. SHAPING YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD


J Phillips told the meeting about the workshop, organised to look at the improvement of King George's Playing Fields. This took place on 15th December at Marsh Mill. The Council has received £51,685 section 106 funding to improve the playing field and the open space north of Royles brook. More funding could be applied for if plans for the area were appropriate. A range of local groups were represented at the meeting as well as Melrose developers. At the meeting members of Thornton rugby club indicated that further funding could be available from the RFU to support development

During discussion a number of issues were raised including the safety of children using the football field, the setting up of a Residents Friends of King George's group and the removal of the height barriers from the footpath by Seniors.

Jenie told us that a further publicity/ consultation event would take place at Marsh Mill on Friday 20th January, with Radio Lancashire interviews and cookery and food tasting by Twelve Restaurant.


8. TRAFFIC!


J Philips and P Jenkins represented TAG and Hawthorne park at a meeting to discuss the proposed improvements to the A585. There will be further consultations.

It was noted that average speed enforcement cameras are to be placed on some roads in the county. This was welcomed. There was further discussion about roads in Thornton where some drivers tend to speed, including Lawsons Rd, Fleetwood Rd Nth, Wareing drive and others. Jenie has written a letter to the Gazette about the speeding issues in Thornton. Following discussion it was suggested and agreed that the TAG committee should meet to discuss possible action re speeding drivers on Thornton roads.



9. A.O.B.



Field at Bourne Way – Following discussion it was agreed that the committee would meet to discuss possible action to protect Bourne Marsh field from development.



Local Plan – H Phillips informed the meeting that the Local plan will be out probably in June. There is a push to restrict the number of houses built because of the infrastructure / drainage issues etc. It is likely that there will not be any support for lots of house building.




DATE OF NEXT MEETING – Wednesday 15th March, 7.15pm at Thornton Methodist Church.



NB. Thornton Action Group now has a Facebook page. Please log on